About Me

My photo
I am considered a "post-modern," as far as my political views are concerned. I feel the environment is important, and we need to do anything in our power to maintain it for future generations. Our economic situation right now is definitely a poor one; we should not continue to give to causes that are futile. Instead, we need to turn to our allies and work out a compromise and be paid back for all the help we have given them. Debt is a serious deal, and we are in over our heads. I support gay marriage, and I believe fully in equal opportunity for those willing to put forth the effort to obtain it. My stepfather influences a lot of my economic viewpoints, and my own sense of right and wrong does the rest. I realize how messy our government has become, and there is no easy fix. No one president can turn this country around in a single period in office. It takes years and years of dedication and sacrifice to make a difference. However, I believe every individual has the power to take baby steps toward the bigger goals.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Finally! Another Point for the Rainbow People!

Although I already wrote a little about the gays and lesbians in the military, I decided to take a different angle. I wanted to discuss the new same-sex marriage policy that was recently adopted in New York. I am so happy another state has finally decided to allow same-sex marriage! In spite of being only one state in six, New York has given hope to homosexual couples across the country.

Regardless of the thousands of people who were expressing their joy and support for the newly married couples, there were also thousands more who were continuing to protest against it. No matter what progress the gay and lesbian communities make, there will always be many to show their dissatisfaction. In my point of view, who are we to judge anyone in our society? To not allow gay and lesbian couples, or even individuals, the same rights as those who are heterosexual in their orientation is discriminatory. Those who try to abolish homosexuals are stripping them of their rights to freedom of speech and the right to be considered equal with others in society. What we are doing to the homosexual community is no less wrong than what our ancestors did to the African Americans, or the Native Americans, what we still continue to do to our fellow countrymen and women: we deny them the right to have equal opportunity to pursue their American Dream.

The legalization of same-sex marriage in New York will hopefully encourage more states to do the same. Although there will still be homophobics who will take it upon themselves to judge those that are different from themselves, this new policy, along with the adaptation of the military in allowing openly gay and lesbian individuals in the forces, is another step toward eliminating descrimination and segregation in our society entirely.

To all those who are faced with the humiliation of being labeled "different," or "inferior," I encourage you to not lose faith in your fellow citizens. There is hope for us yet.

1 comment:

  1. I remember hearing about the State of New York's decision to allow same-sex marriages last week and almost chose the subject to write about in my own blog. I was reminded of the issue after reading Sarah Chema's "Finally! Another Point for the Rainbow People!" blog, and was encouraged by her strong stance for this policy change.

    I agree that New York taking a stand like this will encourage other states to do the same, and eventually the nation as a whole. The surprising thing to me is that it is just now happening. Haven't we been debating this issue for decades now? Aren't we over our nationwide homophobia? It is important for big states like New York to be part of the first states that makes this change. People have been looking to New York for guidance since the 18th century, and anything they do still makes it into the public eye.

    Discrimination is discrimination. Racial, sexual, religious, or sexual orientation should be no reason for one American to be denied the basic rights of his/her neighbor. These are the morals this country was founded upon, and it is about time we step into the 21st century and make discrimination a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete